Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Spider-Woman #5

By: Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

Seldom in Brian Michael Bendis' career is his writing up-staged by the artist on a particular project, but it has happened in this series. When I picked up my first issue of Spider-Woman, it wasn't because I knew he would be writing, it was because I knew Alex Maleev would be drawing. All of the art within the comic is done digitally, and it is uncannily realistic and crisp. The story is intriguing, albeit confusing at points (mostly because I do not know Spider-Woman's back story AT ALL.

This issue picks up with Jessica Drew falling from the top of a building while remembering that she cannot fly without her suit on. And the action continues from there. Actually I was relieved to see her kicking some trash for a change, throughout the series it has seemed that she has been pushed around a lot by the powerful force of her possible employers. I can tell you (without spoilers) that the next issue is going to be even more action packed. Can't wait.

I know that anyone would really enjoy this comic, the art is beautiful, the writing is crisp, and the action is nearly non-stop. There is a scene where she uses her powers on a Policeman, and you finally get to see what she is capable of. It has taken a long time to develop this story, and it finally feels like it is actually going somewhere. I have become a great fan of Spider-Woman. She kicks trash!

Chad de Lisle is a newly married college student in Utah. He spends much of his day with his wife Hilary and their dog Bobby Dylan. He spends his weekends as a Dungeon Master for his friend's Dungeon's and Dragon's games.

His website: http://www.resmirch.com/


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment