Saturday, July 16, 2011

A History of Violence

Yesterday, one of my co-workers who shares my enthusiasm for comics loaned me 'A History of Violence'. I took it with an open mind, willing to read it and give him my feed back. Once I started into the story, it was a slippery slope, and I couldn't put it down until it was finished. What an amazing tale! One thing that stands out is the lack of a hero in the story. In essence, its about a bad guy who does some bad things to some other bad guys, and then he hides and turns into a good guy, and then the bad guys find him and he has to defend his new family. Make sense? The point I am making is that even the protagonist is actually just a bad guy. Sure, he's changed, but all of his problems would be non-existent if he wouldn't have murdered and crossed the mob to begin with.

The art is black ink, in "From Hell" or "Walking Dead" fashion. To be honest, the art isn't the real vehicle of this tale. You could almost take away the art and this would make a riveting short story. Basically, don't buy this comic if you are looking for beautiful art, buy it for the story. It is hard to read sometimes, there is a very heavy macabre feeling that permeates the entire story. Themes of tainted innocence, cruelty, revenge, and fear are the backbone of the novel. It reads fast, but it is entertaining the whole way because the pacing is superb. Even in the duller sections of the story the pages go quick and there is a constant changing of scenery and unfolding of the plot. I don't know if I'll buy it, but I will recommend it as a good read none the less.

Chad de Lisle is a newly married college student in Utah. He spends much of his day with his wife Hilary and their dog Bobby Dylan. He spends his weekends as a Dungeon Master for his friend's Dungeon's and Dragon's games.

His website:

http://www.resmirch.com/


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment