Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Secret Avengers, Perfect For Longtime Marvel Comics Fans

I love Secret Avengers. I had given up on newer Marvel Comics but Secret Avengers changed my mind. The roster is a good mix of interesting characters, the art is amazing and the story is a well-written story that reminds me of the good old days of Marvel.

Writer Ed Brubaker and artist Mike Deodato are the creative team for the Secret Avengers title. The series started in May 2010 and showcases many former Avengers along with a few new ones. The roster includes Steve Rogers (the first Captain America), the Beast, War Machine, Valkyrie, Moon Knight, Nova, Black Widow, Sharon Carter, and Ant-Man.

One thing that makes this title great is Steve Rogers. He is and always will be Captain America to me and the one who should lead the Avengers. Having him joined by former Avengers Moon Knight, War Machine, Black Widow and his love, Sharon Carter, is good planning. I am most excited to see Beast, an Avenger in the 1970s and early 1980s, back with the team. I am also excited to see Valkyrie join the Avengers family.

I am a big fan of the original Defenders series that ran from 1972 until 1986. The Defenders original members were Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor and, sometimes, the Silver Surfer. Not long after the series started Valkyrie became the first female member. Much later in the run, the Beast joined the Defenders. I hope that the past relationship between the Valkyrie and Beast is touched upon in the Secret Avengers.

It is interesting to note there has been more than one Valkyrie. The first time she appeared in Avengers No. 83, it was actually the evil Enchantress posing as Valkyrie. In the Valkyrie's second appearance, the Enchantress turned a girl, Samantha, into Valkyrie. In her next appearance in the Defenders series, it was the real deal that joined the ranks, Brunnhilde the Valkyrie. Thanks to the Enchantress, though, she could not remember who she was until years later. On the Comic Book Resources Forum, Brubaker confirmed that the Valkyrie on the team is indeed the original Brunnhilde. She was killed a handful of years ago, but she is back!

Another nice thing about Secret Avengers besides great characters like Steve Rogers, Beast and Valkyrie being around is the first storyline. It involves the Serpent Crown, which old-school Marvel fans will remember. The Serpent Crown is an object of great power that has appeared in various Marvel Comics for decades. The crown resembles a coiled, seven-headed serpent. There are classic storylines in Sub-Mariner, Avengers and Marvel Two-In-One comics involving the crown. I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out in the new Avengers title.

Using classic characters and an object that has been around Marvel for decades makes this old-school fan happy. But, do not think Secret Avengers is going to be boring and the same type of book we have read over and over again. While many team members have been around for years, there is a new character here to explore. This is not Hank Pym as Ant-Man. The Ant-Man in Avengers now is the third character to use the name. The Secret Avengers Ant-Man is Eric O'Grady who first appeared in The Irredeemable Ant-Man No. 1, Sept. 2006.

Also, Brubaker has said online that, "[Secret Avengers is] definitely going to have a lot of the espionage plots and the Steranko influence, and the crazy Kirby technology, but I don't think there's going to be much soap opera. I hope it feels different than any Avengers team, ever."

I am sure there will be some soap opera drama, though. You can't have superheroes without some drama. Reading Secret Avengers makes me want to dig out my old Avengers and Defenders comics and relive my youth! I suggest you do the same thing.

I am an owner of Halloween Hill, an online store that sells haunted house props, as well as Halloween decorations. I am also a comic book collector and have been for more than 25 years!

Visit me at http://www.halloween-hill-props.com/ (where I sell Halloween props and decorations) and at http://championfinds.com/ (for my choices of the best online comic book stores).


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment