Friday, July 15, 2011

Here's Your Sign by Bill Engvall

Bill Engvall has been performing comedy for over 20 years, but since he joined up with Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, and Larry the Cable Guy in "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" it seems his career has skyrocketed, just as it has for the other three. For all those that are familiar with his comedy routines, you know how he likes to point out the stupid things people say, and he wishes he had a sign that says "I'm Stupid" to hand out to these people, hence his most famous saying, "Here's Your Sign."

Now, in the book of the same name, "Here's Your Sign," Bill Engvall has collected more than 200 of his classic "Here's Your Sign" jokes. For anyone not familiar with these, here's an example:

"My son, whose front tooth had just come out, was with me in a mall. I ran into a friend of mine who looked at my son and asked, 'Did you lose your tooth?' My son said, 'No, I like to keep that space open so I can spit water through it." Or, for another, "I was in the bathroom and my son yelled through the door, 'Dad, are you going to the bathroom?' I said, 'Nope, I'm quilting the Charmin."

In his stand-up routines, he jokes about just handing people their very own Stupid sign, and I bet Engvall could sell millions of the little sign that is stuck onto the cover of this book. I'm sure we all could figure out many people to give them to. The collection contained in this volume made me laugh. I think it is even better if you have heard him tell some of these jokes, because then you can imagine how he tells it. And face it, the telling of jokes by comedians is often more important than the material.

Besides all of the "Here's Your Sign" jokes, the book also contains a few family stories that I enjoyed more than the shorter quips. He shared times when his kids asked him what sex was, other parenting experiences, and a hilarious story about how a fear of snakes ruined what could have been a very romantic evening.

If you are a fan of Bill Engvall, you'll enjoy this book. I sure did. His hilarious look at the ridiculous things people say and do will make you laugh and the family stories are even better. For a quick humorous read when you need a chuckle or belly laugh, "Here's Your Sign" by Bill Engvall fits the bill. The perfect gift for Engvall and Blue Collar Comedy fans.

Alain Burrese, J.D. is a performance and personal development expert who teaches how to live, take action, and get things done through the Warrior's Edge. Alain combines his military, martial art, and Asian experiences with his business, law, and conflict resolution education into a powerful way of living with balance, honor, and integrity. He teaches how to use the Warrior's Edge to Take Action and Achieve Remarkable Results. Alain is the author of Hard-Won Wisdom From The School Of Hard Knocks, the DVDs Hapkido Hoshinsul, Streetfighting Essentials, Hapkido Cane, the Lock On Joint Locking series, and numerous articles and reviews. You can read more articles and reviews and see clips of his DVDs as well as much more at http://www.burrese.com/ and http://www.aikiproductions.com/


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment