Thursday, July 14, 2011

Invincible Ultimate Collection Volume 3

Stew has been raving for months about Invincible but I only recently picked up the series. I have no idea how he let me get away with not reading it until now. Invincible may be the greatest superhero comic that I have ever read. The depth of the characters, the uniqueness of the plot lines, and the emotionally charged nature of the conflicts come together in a symphony of art and word. Ottley's art is spot on amazing, especially when it comes to depicting gore. Seriously, in one HUGE panel there are about 2,000 droplets of blood. (its probably the best panel I've ever seen).

After finishing the first to entries in the "Invincible: Ultimate Collection", I assumed that this would be a simple story of Mark (Invincible) versus his evil father Nolan (Omni-Man). That would have been easier to handle I think. This installment in the series plunges the tale into the realm of tear-jerking unbelievability. All of the side stories are just as compelling, which makes me believe that Kirkman is a witch doctor or a soul-less swindler who's deals with the devil have made his writing potently dangerous.

The bright crisp art from Ottley is only a further credit to the script, and contrasted perfectly with the violence and gore that invariably finds its way into the panels. I cannot image any other artist making this story more compelling to look at, or more perfectly pulling off the heart-wrenching facial displays of emotion. Rarely do I force my wife to read anything, but in this case I must.

Chad de Lisle is a newly married college student in Utah. He spends much of his day with his wife Hilary and their dog Bobby Dylan. He spends his weekends as a Dungeon Master for his friend's Dungeon's and Dragon's games.

His website:

http://www.resmirch.com/


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment