Sunday, July 17, 2011

Daytripper - A Sublime Experience

By: Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon

While in Emerald City, I attended the Con of Comics. At the DC booth, there were heaps and heaps of free comics, pins, and posters. Like a red leaf among the yellow piles, the first installation of Daytripper lept into my hands. Seldom does a comic resound so powerfully within a single issue. Daytripper #1 is an non-judging look at the life of an obscure writer named Bras on his birthday. It goes largely unremembered and unnoticed by the world around him, and he struggles with resenting his family as a result. His father is a very successful writer, and all that Bras has accomplished is a steady job as a writer of obituaries. The reader of this comic follows him on this red letter day in his life, not because of his accomplishments, but because of his realizations.

There are very thick themes of family loyalty and love within this issue. It ends in a most surprising manner (which I won't spoil here) that drove several waves of emotion through me. Sadness, joy, understanding, but most of all gratitude. I would recommend this comic to my Father, my Mother, my brothers, my friends and my Wife; such is the power of the message it portrays. It seems to touch upon a deeper level of thought and emotion that most media strives to reach but seldom obtains. More important than reading it, is feeling it.

"You don't choose family."

Please read this comic! You won't regret it!

Chad de Lisle is a newly married college student in Utah. He spends much of his day with his wife Hilary and their dog Bobby Dylan. He spends his weekends as a Dungeon Master for his friend's Dungeon's and Dragon's games.

His website: http://www.resmirch.com/


View the original article here

1 comment: