Saturday, July 16, 2011

American Vampire #1 - Stephen King!

This weekend I was in Black Cat Comics in Salt Lake City picking up my holds, and Greg (the owner and operator of the shop) told me I had to check out American Vampire. He has never steered me wrong, so I took his advice and added it to my purchase. Upon reading, I am absolutely satisfied, and eager for the next installment. It seems that anything in my life attached to the name: "Stephen King" is extremely satisfying and entertaining. This holds true for this comic as well.

American Vampire reads like two comics, one placed in 1925 and the other placed in 1880. The most fascinating aspect of this dual nature is the shared characters in each timeline. There are only two characters in the comic that are shared between the two points, the first is Skinner Sweet, a swarthy outlaw from the wild west, and the narrator Will Bunting, the author who has scrawled the tale. In the first half, an aspiring young actress, Pearl, is invited to a high class party in the Hollywood hills.  Her invite isn't all that she expected. While in the second, the outlaw Skinner Sweet is involved in a train wreck, and through a series of captivating events he undergoes the transformation to the unholy dead.

This issue was haunting, intriguing, and grabbing in a way that any good piece of media is. I felt drawn in by the foreshadowing and twists in the plot along the way. I was eager for each page, and felt my stomach twist when the cliffhanger arrived. And ultimately I gasped when our vampires made their first appearance. Chilling and thrilling, American Vampire #1.

Chad de Lisle is a newly married college student in Utah. He spends much of his day with his wife Hilary and their dog Bobby Dylan. He spends his weekends as a Dungeon Master for his friend's Dungeon's and Dragon's games.

His website:
http://www.resmirch.com/


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment